08 January 2009

On the lack of regard for human life

I am sickened.

I was sickened on the day after Thanksgiving when I learned that a Walmart employee was trampled by shoppers who couldn't wait to get a deal. Not because the employee got trampled; it's sad but it happens in these situations. No, I was sickened that people actually realized that the person was being trampled and walked over him anyway. What's more is that some of them became very angry when Walmart tried to close their doors due to the death. Those shoppers had no regard for human life. That Walmart employee was a person! He was a person with a family who loved him and now he is DEAD. This mentality that he was just some thing to be thrown to the side is horrifying.

Today I am once again sickened. I clicked on a link to a story about a 77 year old woman who had a shopping addiction that died after some of her possessions fell on her and she was trapped. The comments on this post ranged from "I love it, death by shopping and on Boxing Day yet! How utterly perfect." to "She shopped till she dropped?" This woman was a PERSON! She was a real life, living and breathing SOUL. She had feelings and passions. And now she's dead.

There is a difference between irony and humor. Is it ironic that a shopoholic died because her possessions were so many that they caved in on her? Of course it's ironic. But is it funny? Since when is it funny when a human life ends? If you truly find humor in the end of human life, I'll be sure to laugh out loud at YOUR funeral. The trash that posted those comments (yeah, I said it) need to learn a little bit about compassion and the value of EVERY human life.

No comments: